Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Snowbirds of the Greenhouse

 The windows of the house are now packed with plants, and I was going to overwinter the Chicago hardy fig, the Brazilian begonia and the little copper leaf begonias in the south-facing cellar windows, which are about a foot tall with a good deep ledge where the stone foundation meets them. But after I carried the copper leaf begonias through the coal bin to their window and shoe-horned the Brazilian into the space above the workbench, between the furnace pipes and the window glass, I felt like one of those sadistic men who keeps abducted girls locked in their cellar for decades. So I moved all the cellar plants to the greenhouse, where I now have a strong inducement to caulk and plastic the old windows and make the place more habitable. Like soon, because we are expecting overnight lows in the 20s already later this week.

2 comments:

  1. I enlarged the photo -- my goodness, you even gave them carpets! Stay warm. . . - Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. The floor is straw, and I used to sit in there to write, so it is very well-appointed for a little cube made of straw bales!

    ReplyDelete