Monday, October 7, 2013

Giant Shallots!


This past spring I cut way back on my habitual excessive planting, but I did plant a bunch of little top-bulbs made by some shallots that were suffered to grow in the same piece of ground for…oh, I don’t know how many years…without being harvested. I had the raised bed space and they were around, so what the heck.

Well. This is what happens when you plant top-bulbs in a raised bed: giant shallots. Thus has my vice and ignominy revealed itself to be The One True Path of Shallots.

The best part is that I forgot about the previously forgotten shallots (do you see a pattern emerging?), so when I went to pull that bed of huge onion leaves that was mysteriously thriving out there in the garden, great was my surprise and delight to find these fat fellows there by the dozen.


2 comments:

  1. Leave them and they will grow?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally saving those little top bulbs again for next year, and if I had not been in such a frenzy of destructive excitement, I would have left a couple of plants in the ground, because I think they mostly make those top bulbs in their second year. Oh well--next time!

    ReplyDelete