Thursday, October 30, 2014

Archaeology by Nonhumans


This fringe of roots is still attached to a tree that blew over in a hurricane about two years ago. The tree is still alive and growing aslant, with its limbs resting comfortably in the limbs of another tree some distance away. When the root mat flipped up, I naturally could not wait to look under it. There I found a rectangular stone box with fitted lid that I think may have been a water feature back in the Sheep Days (the earth is full of springs around here). I thought this was a sufficiently thrilling discovery to do for one downed tree, but this summer, as you can see on the left of the photo above, some helpful groundhog (Marmota utilis digibus) in the course of her labors, started tossing up terra cotta pipe fragments from the burrow she sited under the root mat overhang. You must admit, this is a very convenient spot to live, as it includes this huge covered porch. So I think the pipe shards are definitely associated with drainage, but I don't know if the groundhog hit a refuse dump full of broken piping (middens are another thing we have a lot of here), or if she is burrowing right through the old drain system itself, long since crushed by the weight of the world. In any event, water and marmots and the passage of time, and the passage of water and marmots through time, seem to be the theme of the day.

6 comments:

  1. I have a photo of the kids under that tree from this spring :) I love it! Glad to hear that someone is making good use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! I practically barfed when I saw that photo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm. Always interesting to see what you dig up. How big is the stone box with fitted lid? Sounds like a wonderful garden feature to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roddy, the box is set into the ground so the lid is flush with what I guess was the surface level that the tree began growing on. I have never tried digging around it to see how far down it goes. But unless the tree dies, I think we will just leave it where it is. In case we need to bury treasure in a convenient pre-dug location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So the box is empty? Do you think this could have a plausible agricultural use? or would stashing bootleg liquor be a more likely explanation....say, about a hundred years ago? or $$$ or?

    ReplyDelete
  6. The box has mud and leaves at the bottom--I have never dug into them to see how far down it goes. I suspect it was a self-filling water trough, at least when the springs were running.

    ReplyDelete